Dr. Linda Grant, Professor of Sociology, has been at the University of Georgia since 1985. She received her Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Michigan in 1981. Her specialty areas include sociology of gender, sociology of education, qualitative methods, social psychology, women and science. Dr. Grant's most recent work examines mentoring and gender and careers in the social, biological, and physical sciences, race and gender issues in public education and qualitative methods in social research.
- Ph.D., Sociology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1981
- M.A., Sociology, Wayne State University, Detroit, 1973
- B.A. (with honors), Journalism & Sociology,The University of Kentucky, Lexington, 1966
- Linda Grant and Kimberly Kelly. Forthcoming Penalties and Premiums: The Impact of Marital and Parental Statuses on Salaries of Faculty in SEM and non_SEM Fields. Social Studies of Science
- Linda Grant and Aubrey Denmon. Forthcoming. Sage "Women Physicians Will/Will Not Improve the Quality of Patient Care." Sage Debates in Health Care. Thousand Oaks, Ca.: Sage.
- Linda Grant.2008. “Gender and Qualitative Research.” Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Methods, ed. Lisa Givens. Thousand Oaks, Ca.: Sage Publications.
- Kimberly C. Kelly and Linda Grant. December 2007. “State Abortion and Nonmarital Birth Rates in the Post-Welfare Reform Era: The Impact of Economic Incentives on Reproductive Behaviors of Teenage and Adult Women.” Gender & Society (December) 21(6): 878-904.
- Linda Renzulli, Linda Grant, and Sheejita Kathuria. August 2006. “Race, Gender, and Wage Gaps: Comparisons of Predominately White and Historically Black Colleges and Universities.” Gender & Society 20(4) 491-510.
- Grant, Linda, Ivy Kennelly, and Kathryn B. Ward. 2000. "Revisiting the Marriage, Motherhood and Productivity Puzzle in Scientific Research Careers." Women Studies Quarterly 38:62-85.
- Grant, Linda, Kathryn B. Ward, and Xue Lan Rong. 1987. "Is There an Association between Gender and Methods in Published Sociological Research?" American Sociological Review 52:856-864.
- Grant, Linda. 1984. "Black Females' "Place" in Desegregated Classrooms." Sociology of Education 57:58-76.
Awards, Honors, and Recognition
- 2008. Recipient for Graduate School Outstanding Mentoring Award for the Social and Behavioral Sciences< UGA.
- 2007. Winner of the Feminist Mentoring Award, Sociologists for Women in Society.
- 2006. Recipient of the Institute of Women's Studies Faculty Award, UGA.
- Roberta Spalter-Roth, American Sociological Association, and Linda Grant. In and Out of Academia: Careers and Family Transitions among Sociologists.” $25,000 grant from the Sloan Foundation, 2006-2008.
- Linda Grant and Gary Alan Fine. Summer workshop in field work methods. Funded by the National Science Foundation, Sociology Program, 1992-1995. Total funds: $106,679 over four years.
- Linda Grant and Kathryn Ward. Mentoring, gender, and publication in the social, natural and physical sciences. Proposal funded July 1990 through December 1991 by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement, Field-Initiated Studies. Total funds: $63,100 over 18 months.