The Department of Sociology is proud to announce its first annual Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Student Spotlight Award. Starting this spring and continuing each year, we will be highlighting one to two undergraduate students who are working to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion on campus or in the surrounding community. We are looking for students who are dedicated to advancing the cause of justice by creating inclusive and equitable spaces welcoming to all people. This can take many forms, including:
- Original scholarship advancing the interests of historically underrepresented groups (e.g., indigenous populations, people of color, disabled persons).
- Planning and coordinating volunteer efforts at local homeless shelters, food banks, religious institutions, etc.
- Creating and promoting original content (e.g., podcasts, videos, flyers) that raises awareness about racism, sexism, xenophobia, ableism and other forms of social injustice.
Because there are many ways for students to promote DEI, two winners will be selected: one for a scholarship track and another for an activism track. The scholarship track entails the promotion of DEI through academic contributions (e.g., a term paper, academic presentation, research proposal), while the activism track entails the promotion of DEI through community outreach (e.g., coordinating food and clothing donations, leading an organization for underrepresented students).
Do you or someone you know fit this description? Please apply or nominate someone below! Self-nominations are encouraged. Winners will receive a certificate and check for $500, presented at the Sociology graduation ceremony in spring semester 2023.
Who is eligible?
Award is open to all currently enrolled undergraduate students at UGA.
- Students must be currently enrolled at UGA.
- Students must have a 2.8 GPA or higher.
- Students must demonstrate a dedication to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion at the university or in the surrounding community, through research or activism.
- Students can only be in the running for one award, either through the scholarship or activism track.
Click here to apply!
To receive full consideration, please include a copy of your unofficial transcript with your application by April 7, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.