- Ph.D., Sociology, University of Georgia, 2013
- M.A., Sociology, University of Georgia, 2010
- M.A., Sociology, National Taiwan University, 2001
- LL.B., Law (minor in Sociology), National Taiwan University, 1999
- 2018-2023. Co-Investigator, "Using a Randomized Prevention Trial to Understand the Health Benefits of Supportive Couple Relationships among Rural African American Adults," National Institute on Aging, $3,733,837
- 2017-2022. Co-Investigator, "Psychosocial Context and the Biological Clock: Changes in Weathering during Middle Age," National Institute on Aging, $3,240,000
- 2017. NIH Early Career Reviewer Program, Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health
- 2016. "Most Impactful Article" Designation, Social Science & Medicine (journal)
- 2014. B. O. Williams Award for Dissertation Research, Department of Sociology, University of Georgia.
- 2013. Outstanding Article Award, American Society of Criminology.
- 2013. Certificate of Excellence, Department of Sociology, University of Georgia.
- 2012. First Prize, Gene Carte Student Paper Award, American Society of Criminology.
- 2012. The Best Graduate Student Paper Award, Evolution, Biology & Society Section, American Sociological Association.
- 2011. B. O. Williams Award for Thesis Research, Department of Sociology, University of Georgia.
- 2010. Phi Kappa Phi, National Honor Society
- Lei, Man-Kit, Steven R.H. Beach, and Ronald L. Simons. (Forthcoming). "Biological embedding of neighborhood disadvantage and collective efficacy: Influences on chronic illness via accelerated cardiometabolic age." Development and Psychopathology.
- Lei, Man-Kit, Steven R.H. Beach, and Ronald L. Simons. (Forthcoming). "Childhood Trauma, Pubertal Timing, and Cardiovascular Risk in Adulthood." Health Psychology. doi:10.1037/hea0000609
- Lei, Man-Kit, Ronald L. Simons, Steven R.H. Beach, and Robert A. Philibert. (Forthcoming). "Neighborhood Disadvantage and Biological Aging: Using Marginal Structural Models to assess the Link between Neighborhood Census Variables and Epigenetic Aging." Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbx015
- Beach, Steven R.H., Man-Kit Lei, Mei Ling Ong, Gene H. Brody, Meeshanthini V. Dogan, and Robert A. Philibert. 2017. "MTHFR Methylation Moderates the Impact of Smoking on DNA Methylation at AHRR for African American Young Adults." American Journal of Medical Genetics: Neuropsychiatric Genetics 174: 608-618.
- Burt, Callie H., Man-Kit Lei, and Ronald L. Simons. 2017. “Racial Discrimination, Racial Socialization, and Crime Over Time: A Social Schematic Theory Model.” Criminology 55: 938-979.
- Lei, Man-Kit, Steven R.H. Beach, Meeshanthini V. Dogan, and Robert A. Philibert. 2017. "A Pilot Investigation of the Impact of Smoking Cessation on Biological Age." American Journal on Addictions 26: 129-135.
- Lei, Man-Kit, Steven R.H. Beach, Ronald L. Simons, Ashley B. Barr, Carolyn E. Cutrona, and Robert A. Philibert. 2016. “Stress, Relationship Satisfaction, and Health among African American Women: Genetic Moderation of Effects.” Journal of Family Psychology 30: 221-232.
- Lei, Man-Kit, Steven R.H. Beach, Ronald L. Simons, and Robert A. Philibert. 2015. “Neighborhood Crime and Depressive Symptoms among African American Women: Genetic Moderation and Epigenetic Mediation of Effects.” Social Science & Medicine 146: 120-128. (Selected as one of the Most Impactful Articles in Social Science & Medicine 2016)
- Lee, Sunbok, Man-Kit Lei, and Gene H. Brody. 2015. “Confidence Intervals for Distinguishing Ordinal and Disordinal Interactions in Multiple Regression.” Psychological Methods 20: 245-258.
- Lei, Man-Kit, Ronald L. Simons, Mary Bond Edmond, Leslie Gordon Simons, and Carolyn E. Cutrona. 2014. “The Effect of Neighborhood Disadvantage, Social Ties, and Genetic Variation on the Antisocial Behavior of African American Women: A Multilevel Analysis.” Development and Psychopathology 26: 1113-1128. (First Prize, Gene Carte Student Paper Award, American Society of Criminology; The Best Graduate Student Paper Award, Evolution, Biology & Society Section, American Sociological Association)
- Lei, Man-Kit, Ronald L. Simons, Leslie Gordon Simons, and Mary Bond Edmond. 2014. “Gender Equality and Violent Behavior: How Neighborhood Gender Equality Influences the Gender Gap in Violence.” Violence and Victims 29: 89-108.
- Brody, Gene H., Lei, Man-Kit, Edith Chen, and Gregory E. Miller. 2014. “Neighborhood Poverty and Allostatic Load in African American Youth.” Pediatrics 134: e1362-e1368.
- Lei, Man-Kit. 2012. “Friends and Delinquency: Is Deviant Peers Influence Real?” Survey Research－Method and Application 28: 119-160.
- Simons, Ronald L., Man-Kit Lei, Steven R.H. Beach, Gene H. Brody, Robert A. Philibert, and Frederick X. Gibbons. 2011. "Social Environmental Variation, Plasticity Genes, and Aggression: Evidence for the Differential Susceptibility Hypothesis." American Sociological Review 76: 833-912. (Outstanding Article Award, American Society of Criminology)