Sarah K.S. Shannon joined the UGA Sociology Department as an Assistant Professor in 2013. She studies law, crime, and deviance, especially the intersections between crime, punishment, and public welfare programs.Sarah's research investigates how social institutions like the criminal justice and public welfare systems affect social inequality. Her current research examines the relationships between General Assistance welfare programs, crime, and incarceration in the United States from 1960-2010. In other work, she studies the effects of punishment on work, voting, reentry, and community health. Sarah is an affiliate faculty member with the Criminal Justice Studies Program and the Institute for Women's Studies at UGA. Sarah received her PhD from the University of Minnesota in 2013. She also holds a Master of Social Work degree and a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology. Sarah cares about doing research that matters for academics, policy makers, and ordinary citizens. Her public engagement projects include The Society Pages and The Scholars Strategy Network. Off campus, Sarah is a proud mother and a hockey player.
- PhD, Sociology, University of Minnesota, 2013
- MSW, University of Minnesota, 2007
- BA, Sociology, University of Iowa
- Uggen, Christopher and Sarah K.S. Shannon. Forthcoming 2014. "Productive Addicts and Harm Reduction: How Work Reduces Crime - But Not Drug Use." Social Problems 61.
- Uggen, Christopher, Sarah Shannon, and Jeff Manza. 2012. "State-Level Estimates of Felon Disenfranchisement in the United States, 2010." Washington, DC: The Sentencing Project.
- Nyseth, Hollie, Sarah Shannon, Kia Heise and Suzy McElrath. 2011. "Embedded Sociologists." Contexts 10:44-50.
- Shannon, Sarah K.S. 2010. "Dereliction of Duty: Training Schools for Delinquent Parents inthe 1940s." Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare 37:11-27.
- Abrams, Laura.S., Sarah K.S. Shannon, and Cindy Sangalang. 2008. "Transition Services for Incarcerated Youth: A Mixed-Methods Evaluation Study." Child and Youth Services Review 30:522-535.
- Shannon, Sarah K.S. & Laura Abrams. 2007. "Juvenile Offenders as Fathers: Perceptions of Fatherhood, Crime and Becoming and Adult." Families in Society 88:183-191.